Unfortunately for me, I was a nerd well before the hipsters began sprouting up with their prescription-less glasses and Talk Nerdy To Me screen t-shirts. I've alluded to this before in a previous post, but I was a nerd well before it was considered cool.
I'll admit, I get a bit territorial when I see someone who's clearly unqualified trying to encroach on my title. It is a title I have proudly suffered and spilled blood for. Still, I am happy to welcome my truly nerdy brother's and sisters into the fold. Curious about whether or not you fit the bill? Check out this list of ten signs you're an actual nerd.
1.You are a blogger and understand any of the following acronyms: HTML, SEO, or CSS.
2. You know the difference between there, their, and they're.
3. You are a proud Whovian and can explain temporal paradoxes without the use of Google or Wikipedia.
4. You get excited every year on March 14th.
5. You silently correct people's grammar while they're speaking to you.
6. You still don't know what YOLO means.
7. You own more comic books than shoes.
8. You can name at least five NPR programs.
9. You've dressed up as one of the following for Halloween: a Tardis, a Stormtrooper, a Rubik's cube, or a Starfleet member.
10. You'd happily choose Comic-Con over an all expense paid trip to NYC any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
So there we have it. Of course this list is not exhaustive, but it's a start for those who have found themselves teetering on the edge of nerdom. If you can relate to at least three of these items on the list, well then welcome to the dark side ;)
So are you a true nerd? If so, how do you feel about this new hipster trend and the rise of fake nerds?